Friday, December 25, 2020

My life in a nutshell

My roots are firmly embedded in Kenya,  my beloved motherland indeed. This is a splendid country along the equator, south of the Sahara and north of the Limpopo. Even though I was born in Enkare Nyrobi (a place of cold water) which goes by the name Nairobi, I grew up in the plateaus of Mt Kenya and experienced all the congenial beauty that came with the life of a village boy those old good days.
Since my parents were extremely conservative Christians, they decided to keenly adhere to the proverbial wisdom of king Solomon inked in Proverbs 22:6, 'Start your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not depart from it.' Out of my parent's total regard to this scripture, I was brought up in an ascetic Christian faith from my childhood. The intense exposure to the word of God, its relevance and significance in my life from my formative years aided me not only to commiting my life to Christ as a junior in high school but also in finding my purpose later on in life.
In pursuit of what I then perceived to be my trajectory towards a successful future, I enrolled in a hospitality institute soon after graduating high school. Upon completion, I secured a job in Eden Roc Hotel in Malindi which is a coastal town in my motherland. The fact that I had a career and a job didn't serve my deficiency of my purpose in life and rob me my happiness thereof. 
Although I had developed an extremely great passion in service to humanity during my teenage years through volunteering in different non- governmental organizations whose cause was service to humanity, like the biblical Moses who gave numerous mere excuses to why he wasn't adept in leading the Israelites from captivity, my calling to a noble cause of service to humanity as my purpose in life wasn't something I was willing to adhere to. My resistance to my purpose subjected me to act like Jonah who upon being called to go to Nineveh became defiant and began a voyage aboard a ship that was sailing to Tarshish.
In my own superficial perception, my relocation to the land of the free because of the brave was a matter of pursuit for the so called greener pastures little did I know that God was still pursuing me to adhere to my purpose in life. After my defiance that saw me waste not only my resources but also my youthful years, I finally believed the truth of the scriptures in Romans 8:28, 'And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.' That's when I became subservient to God's purpose in my life and subsequently founded Y.E.S. FOUNDATION to help me in the fulfillment of my purpose of service to humanity. 
Through this non-profit organization, we have continued to transform young lives in Kenya through our numerous programs and my dire need to establish a youth empowerment center in my motherland is taking shape. To an extent, my purpose entails motivational speeches through an online radio where I host a radio show namely; Moral Compass. I am also an author of self-help books which are informative, motivational and inspirational. I am not ignorant that my academic pursuit in psychology have played a major role in my purpose, all the same, my insatiable desire to transform one life at a time from an inferior mindset that continues to foster mediocrity and indigence in the society is what makes the whole difference in my life. My holistic experience in my purpose driven life has taught me that; You can only enjoy life to the optimal not through accumulation of material possessions and opulence but only by finding your purpose in life and subsequently living a purpose driven life.  
Today more than ever before, I can boldly attest to the truth behind the words of Mahatma Gandhi; “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” Indeed, service to humanity is a fulfilling purpose that can help you realize that you are not defined by your existence but by the efforts that forster your intrinsic ability of empathy and sympathy rendering you to a philanthropic cause which altogether reflect egalitarian as the most essential and virtuous part in humanity. That's my life in a nutshell.
www.yesnelson.org


No comments:

Post a Comment